Visiting Hours-A Bruno Story

Bruno in his surgical stall.

Bruno in his surgical stall. Red and green buckets for the holidays?

We made the trek up to Texas A&M Vet hospital to see Bruno today.  Dr. Marsh had let us know that Bruno had a pretty good day yesterday as his first post-operative day.  The doctor had been concerned about how well he would deal with the pain.  But Bruno was tough, strong and had a real good day.  Today they were holding his pain with a couple of grams of bute, which horse owners know is a pretty low dose. 

When we got back to the surgical stalls, he was bright-eyed and walking with a minimal limp. We were not allowed in his stall without special foot covers, so we fed Bruno treats through the door.  We had brought him horse treats and carrots.  He absolutely love carrots-like he can devour a package in moments flat if you allow him.  We were telling this to Sherre, his old owner, and she told us this story of when he first came to her in Texas. 

Bruno was not a pet, he was a race horse in training and apparently had never had a carrot.  Sherre tried to get him to eat carrots but he had  yet to acquire a taste for them.  Finally, she bought the carrots with the green tops still attached.  Bruno ate his way through the greenery and suddenly was eating carrots-the orange part.  He has learned the “I love carrots” thing well! 

They had sedated him earlier to clean out the wound and then to get a shoe on his foot to give him support and protect it from infection.  You do not think of a hoof and blood.  We have all watched the farrier trim hooves and they do not bleed.  But think about cutting too much of your nail off and how that hurts and bleeds.  Well, Bruno’s hoof was definitely bleeding.

Bruno's bandaged hoof-and yes, that is blood seeping the bottom.

Bruno’s bandaged hoof-and yes, that is blood seeping through to the bottom.

The doctor said he can probably come home after Christmas (the 26-27th?) so that is our plan.  We will have to learn to clean and bandage the hoof.  We will also have to come up with something to keep Bruno from running and playing until his hoof can stand it.  That will require some prayers and drugs.  Maybe not in that order.

The vet student, Lisa, that was assigned to Bruno said that he thankfully did not act like his breed (thoroughbred) or his age (five).  I am again grateful for his even temperament and good training.

I kind of freaked myself out yesterday.  I got overwhelmed with the prospect of the many months of care this big horse will need.  I wondered if I was not the biggest fool ever to take this horse then agree to do surgery on his foot.  But then last night, Lauren and I looked up many of Bruno’s relatives.  He is definitely bred from the best.  We looked at pictures of two triple crown winners (Seattle Slew, Secretariat), Breeder’s Cup winners ( AP Indy) and of course, way back,  my favorite horses Bold Ruler and Man O’War.  I guess if I have to pick a horse to bet the farm on, this one is not a bad choice. Bruno is big, brave and tough.  I suspect he has that special ingredient, “heart” as well. 

Day three of recovery is done and we are one day closer to getting him well.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s